Friday, July 27, 2007

Rosary Bracelet


Toby is away at the moment, camping in the Lake District, with Woodcraft Folk, a group he belongs to, have a look here:
http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/aboutus/who.php

So, as it's been a while since we posted, I thought I would show you a recent commission that Toby completed for our local Baptist Minister. He was given the top diagram, and the cross, and was asked to make a Rosary bracelet, which he has, as you can see in the bottom picture. Toby had to make 2 holes in the bottom Cruciform bead, so that he could hang the Invitatory bead from the main bracelet which was, as requested, threaded on beading elastic. A jump ring wouldnt have worked because of the exact bead positioning required. I think he has done a really good job.

Creating to commission, rather than just producing what you fancy, is a very different kind of work. It's not always so much fun, but you often learn new things, which you can then bring to your own creations (like drilling two holes in one bead perhaps?!). This is what I do for a living, I design and illustrate commercially, creating artworks to demand, not usually to my own personal taste, you can see my work here: www.omniadesigns.com

Penny.

11 Comments:

Blogger lettuce said...

he has done - it looks great.

7/28/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Caroline B said...

Very simple, very beautiful.

7/28/2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

not that I'm a religious person at all but this is lovely-I'm sure the minister must have loved it.

Penny you left comment on my blog about my moon illie-it was done in photoshop.

7/30/2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Pea said...

Great to work to a real commission and this looks really nice x

7/31/2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Gretel said...

That's really fascinating, I love the basic idea of starting at one point and making your way round and round. It's a concept which could be applied to other things, I'm sure. hmm...

7/31/2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger Catherine Hayward said...

That looks quite tricky to make, well done Toby!
I have 4 iridescent mother of pearl buttons - might Toby like them? They have a crinkly sort of texture and instead of drilled holes they have little hoops on the back. I found them at a flea market.

7/31/2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger natural attrill said...

Thanks for all your comments, guys.
Catherine:-
would you like to swap them for something instead??
Toby.

7/31/2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger Catherine Hayward said...

If you like. :) What did you have in mind, Toby?

8/01/2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger natural attrill said...

Anything really,
some jewellery mabey??

Toby.

8/01/2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger Catherine Hayward said...

Oh your jewellery is far too nice to swap for 4 buttons! I'm happy to give them to you for free, they're a gift

8/01/2007 6:13 PM  
Blogger natural attrill said...

Hi Catherine, you are very kind! I will pm our address on RI forum.
Penny.

8/02/2007 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home