Thursday, December 06, 2007

Medicine-balls



We have mentioned Woodcraft Folk before I think. Toby is a member, they meet up weekly and also go on camps all over the place.
This summer Toby went to Northern Camp, in The Lake District, with groups from all over the north of England.
The year before he went to 'Global Village' which was held in Kent County Showground, there were around 6000 people camping from about 20 countries from all over the world.

Have a look at this link here:
http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/aboutus/who.php

Occasionally I volunteer, helping out with his group. Tonight I am doing a craft activity, based around seasonal decorations. I will take along a box full of bits and pieces for the members, all between the ages of 10 - 13, in Toby's group, and they can make whatever they fancy. Most have lots of ideas and usually come up with wonderful creations, for anyone uninspired we usually make a couple of things at home first to give them a start.

At home, I started off by buying some polystyrene balls from Ebay, then Laurence made a special needle to use to thread some stretchy silver chord through the middle of each bauble. These can now be decorated in any way.
I tore up some blue tissue paper into small pieces and covered the bauble with it using pva glue. When it dried, Toby decorated it with silver pen, and I finished it off by adding glitter.
We have a collection of old plastic medicine bottles here at home (as you do!), so I did the same with one of those, covering it with blue tissue. The glue and tissue dried leaving a nice crinkly texture which I then lightly brushed over with metalic copper coloured paint. I glued on some braiding ribbon around the neck of the bottle and added a button to cover the join.
Toby made some flowers using Laurence's coloured electrical wire, however these little bottles are watertight, so they could be used for real leaves and flowers.

Anyway, thats what we've done, I'll take it all tonight, along with card board shapes we've cut out, lots of wires, shells, ribbons, paints, glue, glitter etc etc and leave it up to them!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

cool!
the bottle colours are really zingy and the ball would make a nice xmas deco!

12/06/2007 1:54 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I love tissue paper, I sure it will go down well. Electrical wire is great, I used to like plating it.

12/06/2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Caroline B said...

Sounds like lots of fun!

12/06/2007 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The medicine bottle is very quirky with those wire flowers, actually I like it a lot. Be interesting to see what the kids come up with.
Carolyn
Willow House

12/07/2007 12:21 AM  
Blogger Sara Prebble said...

I can see there will be some inspiring Christmas decorations this year with those medicine bottles!x

12/07/2007 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home