Friday, April 18, 2008






Hi,

These are the pics from a jewellery course I went on (paid for with the proceeds of my jewellery sales!) , with Yvonne Chadderton, a local jeweller who lives in littleborough (a couple of miles from me). I am going on another workshop in may.

The first 2 photos are of me melting down some of my scrap silver to roll out into sheet with the rolling mill ( the next 3 photos are of me rolling out the silver)

The next photos are of some of the sheet silver I made, with a hole (/button) in the middle which I have shaped using the doming block pictured. This is used with punches shaped in the reverse of the shapes in the doming block.

The next photo is of me filing down some of my sheet silver.

After that are the products of my session (excluding my new-found knowledge….) there are examples of reticulation - which is where you can melt the edges of a piece of metal. Rolling lace through the roller with the silver, and some headpins I have made by melting the ends of some silver/copper wire to make a ball. Also there is a “bracelet” made with my handmade wire twisted to keep the ceramic in place, and a 9ct gold bail for a piece of sea-glass which I made with various pieces of my scrap gold.
(Click on photographs to enlarge and see in more detail)

The final 3 photos are of my pride and joy! Which are of a fine (pure) silver ring which I made by making the wire in the roller, twisting it, then flattening it, and soldering the 2 ends together to form a ring, then I made a piece of silver sheet and cut a strip, and base from it to make the setting for the cabochon, I then soldered it together and filed down the edges. After that I glued in the cabochon ( a hand-painted vintage delft ceramic one, that used to be and earring). It still needs polishing and a bit of filing, but I am v. pleased with it.

I will put photos of the next workshop on the blog when I have done it!
Toby.

p.s. from Penny
Here is a link to Yvonnes website: http://www.yc-jewellery.co.uk/
and if you go to this page:http://www.yc-jewellery.co.uk/news.htm
guess who that 12 year old is!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Caroline B said...

Bet that was a fascinating course Toby - you'll be wanting all the gear now!! That ring is truly beautiful - well done!

4/18/2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great stuff toby-you'll be looking forward to the next course in may-good luck with it all.

4/18/2008 11:37 AM  
Blogger Catherine Hayward said...

Wow, sounds like a really good workshop, to learn all that! That ring's looking good :)

4/18/2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger Magpie Magic said...

Very impressive and interesting. :-) Can't wait to see the next installment... and secretly wish I'd been along to play! :-)

4/18/2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

sorry i've not visited for so long. life has been... pffftt!

this is a fab post - what a great course! your ring is wonderful - i can't imagine what you'll do with these skills.

and i love how you say "scrap silver" and "scrap gold" - you know, like we all have lying around! ;op


and happy birthday!!

4/18/2008 9:10 PM  
Blogger Karen Jinks said...

wow that looks so interesting, I would love to do that! And look at that ring - you are soo clever young man. well done!

4/19/2008 7:00 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

brill post about your workshop toby! i bet you had loads of fun and learnt alot. i bet you are looking forward to the next workshop. your hardwork is already paying and with these new skills who knows what you will create next. dx.

4/19/2008 8:54 AM  
Blogger Soozcat said...

I really like the combined look of silver and ceramic cabochon. Well done!

4/21/2008 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Toby! The ring is brilliant - and so are you!

4/23/2008 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the things you've made Toby; the workshop sounds great. You must have worked very hard to cover all those techniques, which look as if they'll be really useful. Look forward to seeing what else you can do!! Y x

4/29/2008 6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, that looks like a cool workshop, well done!
Lots of new colourful stuff on here, and v. interesting to see how you used the wooden buttons!:o)

5/02/2008 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home