Saturday, May 31, 2008

The (yet to be finished) pearl of my eye.






This pendant was based around a victorian blown glass doll's eye, and some half-drilled cultured pearls i have salvaged from various earrings. I still haven't glued down the eye / smoothed the setting, yet.
I made the base for the top of the pendant last time i had a workshop, by flattening some twisted wire. Then, to set the pearls, i drilled holes where i wanted them to be, then melted the bottoms
of 4 pieces of wire to form a blob, poked the wire through the holes (leaving the blob at the bottom (see photo 5)) and glued the pearls in place.
To make the eye "socket" i cut a strip out of brass and made it the same shape/size as the eye and soldered the ends together. i then soldered that to another piece of sheet brass and cut round the edge, and ground down the excess.
Toby.

4 Comments:

Blogger Magpie Magic said...

I am not enamoured by glass eyes of any kind, but I like the design with the pearls and the twisted flattened wire. It works really well and the eye itself is beautiful. The setting for the eye looks very professional. I am so envious!

5/31/2008 6:09 PM  
Blogger Alison Ashwell said...

Its creepy but i love it !

5/31/2008 10:01 PM  
Blogger tlchang said...

What a clever use of a glass eye! (I am definitely not creeped out. I love it).

I am so impressed by all the things you are learning - tumbling and polishing and wrapping and soldering and grinding and ALL. Wow.

6/02/2008 2:34 AM  
Blogger Gordon Fraser said...

ARGHHHH!!!!! It's coming to get me!!

6/02/2008 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home