Friday, December 12, 2008

tip for tate

Here's a tip for self promotion, for all you freelancers and crafty people out there.

Yesterday, Laurence (my husband, Toby's Dad) was unloading the shopping from our car on the driveway. A woman walked up to him and said ''are you Mr Attrill?'', he said yes. She then told him about a strange thing that had happened to her. She was in the shop at the Tate gallery, in Liverpool (which must be about 70 miles away from where we live), looking at a book, and a business card dropped out, with the name Toby Attrill on it. She looked up the details, and found that the Attrills lived in Todmorden, as did she! Laurence explained that it wasnt him, but his son, Toby, who made jewellery.

This last summer, Toby and I went to the Tate Liverpool, to meet a friend, see the Tall ships, and also go to the Klimt exhibition. While we were there, Toby looked around and slipped a few of his business cards into the art and craft books that were for sale in the Tate shop!!!!

How strange that one of the cards was found by someone who also lives in Todmorden. I wonder who else found one, any of you lurkers out there perhaps? if so, please come and say hello!
Anyway, there's a good tip, for self promotion, leave your business cards everywhere, you never know who might find one.

Penny.

10 Comments:

Blogger John Nez said...

That's funny! Coincidence....

I recently had an odd coincidence happen too. I was riding my bike back home, and stopped for no good reason at one particular house, where I never stop usually.

I looked down, and there, on the street was a torn bit off a promotion card of mine! It must have fallen out of the dump truck... but I thought it very strange that this particular bit of card would happen to fall out and I would find it.

:0)

12/12/2008 3:25 PM  
Blogger Catherine Hayward said...

What a coincidence!
I've heard of other people using this 'guerilla' marketing strategy, I hope it works well for Toby. :)

12/12/2008 4:04 PM  
Blogger Magpie Magic said...

Cool! What a good idea. :-)

12/12/2008 4:04 PM  
Blogger Caroline B said...

Cheeky boy, Toby! Weird that it was someone from your hometown that found it though.

12/12/2008 6:04 PM  
Blogger Swirlyarts said...

Hah - that's a good one! I always have my cards with me and hand them out all the time. When I'm buying stuff from the charity shop (fabric etc) the assistant normally asks what I'm going to do with it - out comes a card so she can see! I also leave cards with a tip when we go out to restaurants/cafes etc.

12/13/2008 9:46 AM  
Blogger Lunabee said...

Thats a fab idea and such a coincidence! I might have to try it, I am gearing up for full on promotion in January! :)

12/15/2008 11:12 AM  
Blogger Lunabee said...

Thats a fab idea and such a coincidence! I might have to try it, I am gearing up for full on promotion in January! :)

12/15/2008 11:12 AM  
Blogger MissT said...

Penny - I think I spend far too much time here...I dreamt about Toby last night, or rather a HUGE commission I was going to give him...must try and turn the dream into reality :-)

12/15/2008 4:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good idea Toby!
Mental note- to actually get some business cards....

12/16/2008 3:24 PM  
Blogger Soozcat said...

This is a great idea for self-promotion. Well done!

12/18/2008 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home