Saturday, July 18, 2009

commercial commission

These are my first commercial commissions!

I was asked by Art Director, Wendy Hannay, to design a range of jewellery, which would be manufactured in Hong Kong, and attatched to greeting cards.
Above is a photograph of one of the cards with my necklace attatched, this is how it will be sold in the shops. Below is a scan of my necklace for you to see in more detail.
Above is a scan of the artwork (by Omnia Designs) used to illustrate the greetings card.
We worked together choosing colours for the illustrations and jewellery, and I designed each piece so that it sat well in the card format and complimented the flower or butterfly paintings.
This is a new way of working for me, having to think in a commercial way, creating for the mass consumer, to appeal to everyone (hopefully!) and therefore not making my usual more quirky pieces!
I was asked to make 2 of each prototype design. I had to find beads and charms to use that were cheap and easy to replicate in the Hong Kong factory.
This was a really interesting project, and great to receive a big cheque afterwards too!!
I'd like to say THANK YOU to Wendy for believing in me and giving me such an exciting opportunity. I dont think there are many art directors out there who would give commercial commissions to people of my age :)
It is a set of 6 jewellery cards, you can see more below.





































































































Please click on 'comments' below, and let me know what you think!
Toby
:)

17 Comments:

Blogger Celeste said...

Congratulations!
I think the designs are great. Certainly appealing to a larger market and I think they work very well with the illustrations. I particularly like the butterfly bracelet and how it sits on the card.

7/18/2009 8:46 PM  
Blogger Swirlyarts said...

Fantastic! Congratulations :)

7/18/2009 8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's amazing, well done!
They still look very unique, although for the 'mass consumer', great stuff!

7/18/2009 9:11 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

well done toby! thats such a great thing to be asked to do! very impressed. they are look great. dx.

7/18/2009 10:11 PM  
Blogger Magpie Magic said...

Wow! What a great opportunity. The flowers on the cards are beautiful and go together well with the jewellery. You must both be so proud.

7/18/2009 11:05 PM  
Blogger Caroline B said...

These are terrific - what a great idea, present & card combined. Well done!

7/19/2009 7:05 AM  
Blogger Gordon Fraser said...

These are excellent Toby...well done you Sir!....(did you get some freebie cards?!.....I might have to ask if I can get some of mine!)

7/19/2009 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

They look great Toby, the jewellery compliments the floral designs perfectly. I like them all, however, the sunflower card really caught my eye, gorgeous illo and your piece of jewellery matched perfectly. Here's to more commercial success. sarah

7/19/2009 9:06 AM  
Blogger Gretel said...

Well done Toby, that is brilliant!

7/19/2009 9:18 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

What a lovely idea, and what lovely jewellery!

Congratulations on the commission, and all the very best of luck with it!

Thanks, too, for the comments on my blog - much appreciated!

7/19/2009 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloomin' brilliant, Toby, you must be well chuffed.
Love that funky jewellery.

Anthony.

7/20/2009 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Many congrats, Toby!

7/20/2009 9:45 AM  
Blogger Karen Jinks said...

Well done Toby, this is fantastic!! (And not forgetting mum for her beautiful artwork too!)

7/20/2009 5:56 PM  
Blogger Soozcat said...

Good on you, Toby! You're taking off!

7/21/2009 7:57 AM  
Blogger tlchang said...

Congratulations! That is fabulous news. And these all look terrific. Where will they be sold (I'd certainly buy some).

7/23/2009 5:28 AM  
Blogger tlawwife said...

How exciting!! Nice job working up beautiful pieces.

7/27/2009 5:28 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

these look fab. I love the one on the iris card.
Congratulations!

8/01/2009 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home